The Lehman College Certification Office is available to support and serve current matriculated students enrolled in one of the School of Education’s teacher/ educator preparation programs. Students must be matriculated and on the path to graduate from their teacher programs.
We provide review and guidance, referrals services and navigation tools for students to obtain their state certification after they graduate from their program at Lehman from the New York State Education Dept. - Office of Teaching Initiatives. Based on each student’s program area of study, we provide evaluations for our students on behalf and under the New York State Education Department regulations and standards.
Our services are available via email, in-person advisement, and by phone for all School of Education students. Students must learn about their individual state certification requirements in preparation to obtain their initial certificate ideally after they officially graduate from their program.
It is important to check in with the Certification Office for advisement to review your requirements in addition to your own program advisor for your degree requirements! You should seek advisement early in your first semester.
Please see the left sidebar menu for more information about teacher and other educator certification, workshops, exams, and preparation materials. Below are announcements and pertinent information from the New York State Education Department.
Announcements from New York State Education Department (NYSED)
For Fall 2021, Spring and Summer 2022 semesters learn more about NEW edTPA Safety Net
The Emergency COVID Certificate: all information for this state certificate is available on the NY State Education Dept. Office of Teaching Initiatives website in these direct links:
For students completing a teacher preparation program at Lehman, please carefully read more information on the emergency COVID certificate page.
- A certified individual may continue to be employed after his/her certificate has expired.
- The applicant must have applied and paid for their next level certificate application.
- The employer may verify submission or an application and the required documents in TEACH while approval by New York State Education Department -Office of Teaching Initiative is pending.
For additional information regarding the following, please visit the NYSED webpages below:
- Re-issuance of an expired Initial Classroom Teaching Certificate
- Provisional Renewals - Pupil Personnel Service
- Time Extension of a Certificate